ARTHUR, DOW8 COBURN
ARTHUR, DOW8 COBURN (Benjamin7, David6, David5, Moses4, Moses3, Joseph2, Edward1) b. 11 Nov. 1869 d. 1907 son of Benjamin7 Coburn and Euphemia (King) Coburn m. 25 June 1902 Josephine Lawson d. 1904 daughter of William Lawson of Canterbury.
Dow was born at Chipman, Queens County, where his father started as a General Practitioner of Medicine. Four-year-old Dow came to Keswick Ridge with his parents when Dr. Ben started his practice there. Dow attended the local schools. As a youth Dow was very athletic excelling in long distance running. Dr. Ben was also doctor to the Maliseet Indians on the nearby Kingsclear Reserve and many Indians visited him. Dow became quite friendly with the Indian youths who also excelled in running. A favorite running circuit was up one side of the St. John River and down the other, using the ferries at Lunt’s Crock’s Point and McNally’s as crossings.
Dow studied medicine at McGill University in Montreal from which institution he obtained the degree of M.D.
Because of a gunshot wound to his hand, he could not become a surgeon as he had wished. He became a General Practioner in Canterbury, N.B. On 25 June 1902 he married Josephine Lawson of that place, daughter of Mr. & Mrs. William Lawson. This marriage did not last long. Josephine got TB and died in childbirth 21 October 1903. Dow immediately wrapped the newborn Joseph in a blanket and rushed him to his mother in Fredericton. Dow’s sister, Mabel Burtt, was then nursing her first-born, Muriel; and aslong as she had enough milk for two she nursed little Joe.
Under his grandmother Coburn’s loving care Joe was beginning to talk. He got Summer Complaint brought on by taking raw milk. At the last Joe looked up at his grandmother and said Little Joe go to sleep now.
That wasn’t the last nursing of the sick that Effie (King) Coburn had to do. Dr. Dow also got the dreaded tuberculosis and his mother cared for him. Dow died of the disease in 1907. His grave is in the old Woodstock Road Cemetery. The graves of Josephine and Joe are at Canterbury, N.B.