EFFIE8 ALBERTHA COBURN
EFFIE8 ALBERTHA COBURN (Tyler7, David6, David5, Moses4, Moses3, Joseph2, Edward1) b. 14 Nov. 1870 d. May 1949 daughter of Abraham Tyler Coburn and Elizabeth (Smith) Coburn m. 9 June 1909 John Rix Jewett b. April 1871 d. 1934 son of David and Ann (Donaldson) Jewett.
Effie, the elder daughter, was born in the new home at Keswick Ridge. She must have started school at McKeen’s Corner where there was a school on the present location of Brewer’s Country Store. After 1885 she had only to walk across the road to the new Superior School.
Some time in her youth Effie must have had poliomyelitis, or as it was then called Infantile Paralysis. There must have been an epidemic of that dread disease as her cousin William H.8 seems to have suffered from the same. He was left with very weak ankles.
Effie and her mother wove many yards of woolen cloth, commonly called homespun. The product of their loom was made of unbleached wool. It was exchanged with merchants in Fredericton for other fabrics and household necessities. Effie lived at home until 1908 with her mother and unmarried brother Fred. Her mother died that year and she married John R. Jewett of Macnaquac. They farmed the David Jewett place which had been John’s home and which is now part of the Provincial and Centennial Parks.
John was one of the ten children of the David Jewett family. There were five brothers and five sisters. The youngest, Mary, became Wm. H. Coburn’s first wife. In 1917 John and Effie sold the Macnaquac farm to Leigh Van Wart and moved in winter across the St.John River to a large farm at Island View in Kingsclear. This is now the location of the Provincial Forest Nursery. John Jewett was an enthusiastic farmer. He had Ayrshire and Shorthorn cattle, horses, sheep and pigs. He also had a sugar bush and a fifty-acre loton Sugar Island for hay and also exhibited cattle at the annual Fredericton Exhibition. In 1923 John sold out to W.G. Clark. After the Clarks bought the farm, Mrs. Clark was heard to comment that now that she knew the production cost of a pound of butter; it was cheaper to buy it in the market. After selling the farm John and Effie spent most of 1923 and 1924 in the West, working on a farm in Alberta, and made an extended visit with Effie’s brother who lived in Whittier, California where Effie’s brother, Rev. Tyler Coburn, was a Quaker Minister. In California John and Effie lost some money to slick oil promoters.
They returned to N.B. settling in Fredericton where they bought a house at 175 King St. and a small store down the street in the next block. John’s brother Campbell (Cam) worked as a clerk for John for a time, just as his single brother Arthur had workedfor him on the farms. Effie kept boarders. Her longest-term boarder was Estella Williams (now Mrs. Fred Duplisea), who lived there while attending Fredericton High School. After John died, Effie continued to keep boarders and paid off the money they owed. Finally she sold her place and spent her last years in her old home on Keswick Ridge, the home of the Fred and Julia Coburn family, where she died in June 1949.
The deed by which Fred Coburn got the home place from his own father Tyler stipulated that he, Fred, should provide meat and lodging for his sister, Effie, who of course was a spinster at the time of the deed.
Effie and John had no children.Their graves are in the newer Fredericton cemetery on the Woodstock Road.