HENRIETTA8 COBURN (William7, David6, David5, Moses4, Moses3, Joseph2, Edward1) b. 15 June 1860 d. 9 Nov. 1933 dau. of William and Emeline (Haines) Coburn m. 2 Sept. 1885 Charles Pickard b. 13 Dec. 1843 d. 25 Feb. 1923 son of Moses and Catherine (Yerxa) Pickard.
Henrietta was the eldest child of her parents. In 1866, when she was six years old,two of her sisters died: Harriet Amelia who was three days short of four years, and Annie Eliza, two and a half. Her mother, Emeline, died 8 February 1869 when Henrietta waseight, but she got a stepmother 1 September 1869 when her father married Margaret Jane Jewett from the next home up the Keswick Ridge road. When Henrietta was 16 her eight-year-old sister Lizzie died. Henrietta spent a year 1883-1884 in New York City with her uncle, Dr. Haines, and while there she wrote home quite frequently to her sister Sarah. It was a two-way correspondence. Some of those letters have survived about happenings at home and at the Other house-Uncle Tylerís place, the new house built in 1869. One letter from Henrietta describes the arrival in New York Harbour of some of the frozen bodies of members of the Franklin Expedition of 1845. Her uncle, Dr. Haines,would not permit her to go to see the grisly remains.
On 2 September 1885 Henrietta (25) married Charles Pickard (41), son of Moses and grandson of the Moses who moved from Sheffield in 1806 and built in 1813 the impressive house now owned by Prof. Stuart Smith.
Ancestor Moses Pickard had bought the place from the original grantee William Welling. It was then in a little improved state of wilderness. In later years William Welling returned for a visit to this beautiful location on a wide bench of the river overlooking ane xpanse of lush meadow reaching away in the distance to the St. John River. He was heard to remark I left a fortune to seek a fortune.
Henrietta and Charles lived all their married lives on part of that farm where grandson Charles now lives. They were active members of the Keswick Ridge Congregational Church. Henrietta survived Charles by ten years until 9 November 1933. Their graves are in the Pickard-Merrithew Cemetery on part of the original farm.