Heritage Header

NOTE: This page has been adapted for the Website from Donald Coburn’s My Line. Use of the first person is in relation to Donald and not the webmaster/author of the site. Subscript index numbers (ex. Moses4) refer to generations after the family’s arrival in North America. Edward Colborne being generation 1.


HETTY7 CAROLINE COBURN (David6, David5, Moses4, Moses3, Joseph2, Edward1) b. Keswick Ridge 1847 d. Fredericton June 1915 m. 1866 Robert Kee Jewett b. Keswick Ridge 29 Aug. 1841 d. California 1893, he was the son of Ezekiel and Martha (Kee) Jewett.

Hetty was the youngest child and only daughter of David6 and Sarah (Sloot) Coburn. Hetty was no doubt named after her aunt Hetty Caroline Sloot who married 1840 Thomas Pickard of Lake George. Young Hetty was three years old when both parents died. Her father’s will, dated 25 Nov. 1850, attempts to make some provision for her fifteen years hence. When she reached eighteen was to get £5 from each of her brothers and an additional £5 one year following. Her brothers’ ages at 1850 were: William 16, Tyler 14,Benjamin 12, and Charles 7. Apparently her mother was already dead, as Sarah’s name does not appear on that Will. David Pickard of Scotch Settlement, who was married to Hetty’s Aunt Phoebe Coburn, and Thomas Pickard, who was married to Hetty’s Aunt Hetty Sloot, were named trustees. David died 5 Dec. 1850 just ten days after making the Will.

In the 1851 census Hetty Coburn, along with brothers Charles and William, is listed in the Joseph and Jerusha (Coburn) Dunphy household. Aunt Jerusha was her father’s sister.

On 8 January 1866 Hetty married Robert Kee Jewett. The couple lived in the next house west along the Keswick Ridge road which is now the home of Gerald and Shirley (Hallett) Reed. That house was probably built early in their marriage to replace an older house that sat, farther back from the road, on the brow of the hill. Robert K. was a carpenter, miller, and farmer.

Robert, we believe, built the four very nearly identical houses on Keswick Ridge; at least they were very similar before renovations. They are:

  1. The Sloot house, on what is now called Mactaquac Heights, which was built for Benjamin and Margaritte(Margaret) (Smith) Sloot and was last occupied by the Harry McEwan family before it was destroyed by N.B. Power.
  2. The United Church manse, built 1870 for the Keswick Ridge Congregational Church
  3. The Clark house built for James Isaac and Mary (Pickard)Clark and now owned and occupied by Mrs. Ardith (Burtt) Jones.
  4. My own house built 1869 for my grandparents, Abraham Tyler7 and Elizabeth (Smith) Coburn.
The Jewett’s own house was larger and more elaborate than these four. It was built with a winding staircase and a fireplace.

Caroline (Coburn Jewett) & Harry C. Jewett
Hetty7 Caroline (Coburn Jewett) & Harry C. Jewett

The Jewetts moved from this house to Fredericton where Robert Kee Jewett owned a sawmill on the riverbank end of Westmorland Street. In that vicinity today is Fredericton’s Police Station. Robert died 1893 in California from inflamation of the bowel, an ailment that is now called appendicitis.

Hetty was the last living child of David6 and Sarah Coburn. She died at her home on Saunders St., Fredericton, June 1915. Other members of the household were three children: Walter, Stanley, and Martha. The town house was soon sold and Stanley and Martha went to Portland, Oregon where their sister Annie lived.

Robert K. Jewett and Hetty (Coburn) Jewett had six children, all born in Keswick Ridge. Harry C. Jewett, the second child, married Harriet Gertrude McKeown. Their home and place of business was at the southeast corner of Charlotte and Regent Streets in Fredericton. Harry’s store was one of the largest groceries in Fredericton. Harry himself was an avid horseman and owned various horses that competed in harness-racing meets.

Walter Jewett worked in his brother Harry’s store in Fredericton. Later he movedwith his sister Martha to Oregon, where he afterwards married.

Stanley Jewett was seven years old when his father, Robert, died in 1893. As a youth he spent several summers with his relatives on the Ridge. My father, Fred, wasten years older and seemed quite fond of him. I have heard accounts of their expeditions collecting birds’ eggs for show cases. Father said Stanley could throw a stone, knockdown a bird, skin and stuff it in just minutes to produce a life-like specimen. Stanley became a noted naturalist and also resided in Portland, Oregon. I once saw a picture of him in a Portland newspaper. I do not remember the story but I was impressed with the picture as it looked just like my father (who was a first cousin) rather than like William H. and David E. Coburn, who were his double-first cousins.

Frank9 Coburn Jewett, (son of Harry8 C.Jewett and Hattie (McKeown) Jewett) now (1990)in his nineties, could have been named after his father’s brother Frank C.Jewett who died as a boy of fourteen in Mar. 1886. Frank Coburn Jewett and his daughter Elizabeth10 Joyce live in London, Ontario where Beatrice10’s daughter Harriet11 Musto also lives. They have sent me information on the younger descendants of Hettie Coburn.

Remembrance Day, 11 Nov. 1990, has just passed. With permission of the author I include this letter which I quote:

Frank Coburn Jewett b. April 28/96. Eldest son of Harry Coburn Jewett and Harriet Gertrude McKeown. Born in Fredericton and went overseas in 1915 with the 6th Canadian Mounted Rifles (dismounted). Blown up and buried in June 1916 at Ypres, Belgium and woke up in a hospital in London, England several days later, not knowing who I was or how I got there and deaf and dumb. After nearly two years in various hospitals I regained both my voice and hearing to some extent, cheated out of a pension. He continues: After some years in the grocery and meat business with dad I joined the Weights and Measures Inspection Service for N.B. with the district office in Saint John.

N.B. in Sept. 1935. I was continually on the road and only home on weekends. My wife didn’t like the idea and after a few years went to live with, fi rst my married daughter Dorothy in Almonte, Ont. and later to London with my other daughter and died there.

Married a second time to Jessie Irene McLean June 13/77. Jessie died Jan. 7/88 while I was in St. Joseph’s Hospital Dec. 1/87 - Jan. 15/88. Was promoted to district inspector Weights and Measures in charge of the service in N.B. and retired after nearly 30 years service when the slate was wiped clean and everybody over 65 years of age. Got my notice Oct. 1st 1964 with 6 months leave with full pay. Sold out our home at 15 Braemar Drive, Saint John, N.B. April/88 and came to London, Ontario and am now living with my daughter Betty McGenere. I will be 93 years old in April 1988 and my hand is not very steady nor my hearing clear but I hope this may be of some help to you. My first wife served in the women’s army both in England and France. My daughter Greta served in both Canada and England and Connie served in Canada in the women’s army during the last war.


F. C. Jewett

P.S. As a young boy I used to alternate my summer holidays with Fred and William Coburn (cousins). I believe my father Harry C. Jewett was born and brought up on the farm above those of Fred and Willie Coburn. At one time owned by William Reid.”

This concludes the story of Hetty Caroline Coburn.