CHARLES7 JAMES COBURN
CHARLES7 JAMES COBURN (David6; David5, Moses4, Moses3, Joseph2, Edward1) b. 16 July 1843 d. 17 July 1913 son of David6 and Sarah (Sloot) Coburn m. 18 Feb. 1880 Elizabeth Yerxa b. 4 Mar. 1862 d. 2 Feb. 1932 dau. of Joseph and Charlotte (Tupper) Yerxa.
Charles (probably named after his uncle Charles J. Sloot) was the fourth and youngest son of his parents who died in 1850 when he was seven. He, along with baby sister Hetty and eldest brother William, are listed (1851 census) in the Joseph Dunphy household. Mrs. Dunphy was their aunt Jerusha.
Census of 1861 finds Charles 17 living with Robert and Mary Jane (Smith) Sloot. Uncle Robert lived at Crock’s Point where grandson Robert and Emmy (Paterson) Sloat now reside. The 1877 York County atlas shows the Charles Coburn residence fronting on the old mill road, now Macnaquac Heights, east of the Duplessis place. Those buildings are long gone. Perhaps the buildings burned and a new location for building was practical. A better water chance would be a strong incentive to change. That would appear to be the case, as there was a well in the cellar of the house and also a well in the barn yard of the new location. However, neither well was used by the Jacob Grant family since by that time the water supply wasn’t adequate.
Charles’ brother, Dr. Benjamin, and Benjamin’s wife Effie King lived at the old Charles Coburn place when they first came to Keswick Ridge, as shown in the 1871 census.
Charles built a new house on the river road to Macnaquac, probably before he married Elizabeth Yerxa in 1880. That house is where their children were born. The Captain Shanks family later lived there. Later still James Grant bought the place at public auction for $1350.00, the same price Charles Coburn had paid in 1866 when he bought it from Henry and Barbara (Yerxa) Sloot. In 1902 James’ son, Jacob Grant andbride Ida (Jewett) Grant moved in. The house was later enlarged to accommodate the twofamilies of Jacob and Ida (Jewett) Grant and Robert and Hazel (Dunphy) Grant. Laterstill, two sons of Jacob and Ida i.e., Gordon and Evelyn (Gordon) Grant and Stanley and Mary (Edwards) Grant lived there. The last home owners were Glendon and Mary (Bull) Arthurs and daughter Ruth Annandson Charles before the house was destroyed by N.B. Power (Electric Power Commission) to make room for a generating plant.
Elizabeth Yerxa was :fourth in the family of Joseph Yerxa and Charlotte Tupper b.1829. Charlotte was the eldest of ten children of Rev. James H. Tupper b. 1805 (Baptist Minister) and Mary Ann Gates b. 1809. Elizabeth had a sister, Mrs. Joshua Christie at Upper Keswick Ridge, who has numerous descendants through the Thomas and Helen (Christie) Giffith family.
Betty Middlemiss of York Street Fredericton supplied the following about Charlotte Yerxa’s family:
The Tupper Family originally came from Germany (Von Tapplier) at the time when the Protestants in Germany were being persecuted and went to Sandwich in Guernsey, England in 1295. Later on a descendant went to the Barbados as a Missionary Minister and either he or a son later moved to Sandwich, Mass. in U.S.A., near Cape Cod. It is considered the oldest settlement in Mass. One of these Tuppers moved to Nova Scotia before the United Empire Loyalists came to N.S. and a son, Rev. James H. Tupper, a Baptist Minister, moved to New Brunswick and married Mary Ann Gates. He was born in 1805 and she in 1809.
The Tuppers were pioneer people, very active in the church and in colonizing the Indians. Sir Charles Tupper, who was very prominent in Canadian History, was a nephew of the Rev. James Tupper. He became a Medical Doctor and was very interested in books. At one time he was High Commissioner in London. He owned a Summer Home, Ottawa House, at Tupper’s Point in N.S. His son was Sir Edward Tupper and he was a lawyer in Winnipeg. Martha’s Vineyard in U.S. was originally owned by some Tuppers.
Rev. James H. Tupper was also a farmer at Lower Line Queensbury, York County.His farm home is now owned by Jamie Love. Rev. James Tupper’s Marriage Record Bookis in the New Brunswick Archives, Fredericton.
Charles Coburn was a farmer, builder and sometimes woods cook. Late in life he suffered i mpaired vision as the result of an accident in a woods camp kitchen whenhe threw some refuse into the stove. The refuse contained a cartridge. The resulting explosion did irreparable damage to his eyes.
Charles and Elizabeth’s last home was at Keswick. It was that house nearest the Baptist church. Charles Coburn, aged 70 plus one day, died 17 July 1913. He was survived by wife Elizabeth, children Mrs. Laura Myrtle Walker, Mrs. Estella Yerxa Rogers, Miss Ada Jean Coburn and Frank Arnold Coburn; also by grandchildren Robert CoburnWalker, John Frederick Walker, Ruth Coburn Rogers and one-week-old Ralph William Rogers. His grave is in the Keswick Cemetery.
Elizabeth spent the lasts ten years of her life in West Palm Beach, Florida. She died there 2 Feb. 1932 and her grave is in the Woodlawn Cemetery in that place.